This is the Chico Permaculture Guilds THIRD workshop of the season and the last before our summer break (gatherings and workshop will resume in September). The workshop will take place May 24th from 11am to 3pm. Please RSVP to attend this workshop by following this link.
This Hands-on Workshop will teach you how to utilize the RAINWATER we seasonally receive to design and install a rooftop rainwater harvesting system. Having the knowledge and skill to direct rainwater from your rooftop to your landscape increases your property DROUGHT RESILIENCE.
Rainwater Harvesting Potential: 1″ of rain on a 1000 square foot surface will yield ~600 gallons of water.
This workshop is focused on specific techniques and strategies for implementing a permaculture design and directly relates to our May monthly gathering topic, Water Harvesting in a Mediterranean Climate. You don’t need to have attended the gathering though it will help you better understand the activities of the workshop.
Details of the Workshop:
PLEASE RSVP TO ATTEND THIS WORKSHOP BY FOLLOWING THIS LINK.
Permaculture Project Attendees are Participating In: The use of passively harvested rainwater from the house rooftop to the surrounding landscape which is a forest garden in its initial phases.
We will begin the workshop by walking around the project target area to familiarize attendees with the current design for rooftop rainwater collection. We will briefly go over the components of a rainwater harvesting system, rainwater calculations as well as the design strategies employed for this particular project. We will then ask attendees to calculate the total volume of rainwater given a specific rainfall event. Then to also calculate the volume of rainwater for the particular workshop downspout that will distribute rainwater to the earthworks/storage systems within forest garden.
The rest of the workshop will be hands-on for learning specific techniques to:
- Connect the downspout to the earthworks for distribution to the landscape
- Create infiltration trenches and basins (earthworks) based on rainfall volume
- Ensure level infiltration trenches and basins using an A-frame level
- Ensure access pathways are protected and easily traversed
- Protect the soil before, during and after the installation
THIS IS A FREE EVENT. Donations are accepted and appreciated to further CPG education and outreach within our community.
What to bring:
- Paper, pens/pencils and clipboard for taking notes
- Calculator for rainwater calculations
- Hat, gloves and sturdy closed toe shoes
- Water bottle (preferably not glass)
- A-frame level (from the last workshop, there will be more to purchase)
- If you have a shovel please bring it along as well
- This is a POTLUCK so please bring a dish to share and your own utensils, plate and a cup
What are my transport/parking options getting to the event?
If there is interest we can set up a carpool at the Chico Park and Ride [Highway 32 at Fir Street]. Let us know of your interest when you RSVP.
Please leave your pets at home.
For more information contact Stephanie at firstname.lastname@example.org or 530-828-6390.
EARTH CARE – PEOPLE CARE – FAIR SHARE
CPG Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/chicopermacultureguild/
CPG website: https://chicopermaculture.wordpress.com/