HOW: ENERGY EFFICIENT DESIGN
This is the first Earthshed Solutions HOW (Hands On Workshop) of the season and is focused on several techniques used in the creation of an energy efficient property design. This hands-on skill building workshop will lead you further down the road toward creating a permaculture design for your own site.
If you’ve taken a PDC, attended the Chico Permaculture Guild gatherings, or read books on permaculture and are familiar with the basic concepts, this is your chance to delve deeper into the design process and take your design skills to a new level. If you’re new to permaculture this workshop will provide you a solid foundation in regenerative design.
In this workshop you will learn HOW:
- to analyze and assess the needs of your site and yourself using a permaculture design lens.
- to generate ideas and place your desired elements for energy efficiency and maximum connectivity.
- to use the permaculture tool-kit to successfully develop a well though-out design.
Details of the Hands-On Workshop:
- You will be given an Observation Journal containing several base maps for designing different overlays during the workshop as well as other pages of pertinent information and resources (which you can also utilize at home when designing your own property).
- We will walk the target area of Frog and Toad Farm where you will learn about the different areas/elements used currently on the property and what elements are desired in the future. You will learn observation strategies, document the sun, wind, water and other natural and human energies affecting the land and create a sector map overlay in your Journal.
- You will learn about the Water, Access, and Structures design tool (WAS) then draw a WAS map overlay in your Journal using water efficient strategies.
- You will learn how to analyze the characteristics of specific elements (such as chickens/ducks, trees/plants, greywater etc.) to find functional connections based on their relative location.
- We will discuss Sectors and Zones as energy-conserving placement patterns for the target area and do an interactive mapping exercise.
- We will do a fun random assembly activity that will help you think “outside the box” and explore all kinds of possibilities when placing the desired elements.
- As a final design exercise you will utilize the list of desired elements then analyze and place them into a design using the all the skills learned during the workshop.
You’ll go home with an understanding of the importance of WAS, zones, and sector mapping as used in permaculture design. Learning these design skills will give you a way to interpret what the land provides, what the land requires as well as being able to assess your own/family needs.
Sunday, April 10, 2016 from 10:00 AM to 3:00 PM at Frog & Toad Farm in Chico, CA
Registration is required. For more information and to register please follow this link: https://how-energyefficientdesign.eventbrite.com.
For more information contact Stephanie at firstname.lastname@example.org or 530-828-6390.