Tis the season for community events… there are so many coming up people are going to have to pick and choose which they can attend.
Next Saturday alone [February 22nd] there are FIVE (or more, but I only know of the 5) awesome events happening in Chico, Paradise and up the hill in Grass Valley:
- Seed Saving Series #2 sponsored by Cultivating Community. Transplanting cold season seed into the seed saving garden at the Chico Grange Hall from 2-4pm. You must pre-register to attend. Contact Cultivating Community via their website: http://cultivatingcommunitynv.org/.
- Earthbound Skills is hosting their incredible The Ancient Art of Fire workshop from 12 pm – 5 pm. The cost is $30 and to register for this or any of the other workshops, please call Jahnia at 530-513-2542.
- Composting Workshop taught by Ward Habriel [AKA the Worm Guy] from 9AM-11AM at the Paradise Grange. The cost is $10 and to register via email contact: firstname.lastname@example.org and include in the subject line: ‘worms 2014’.
- Seed Swap and Local Food Gathering organized by Sierra Seed Cooperative in Grass Valley at the Banner Grange from 1-4pm. ‘Seed to Seed’ author, Suzanne Ashworth, will be speaking and many local foodies and even the Chico Seed Lending Library will be there to share information. More information can be found here. Flier link here.
- Wild Food Wander in Lower Bidwell Park from 1 pm until 3 pm in Caper Acres Playground, Lower Bidwell Park. Join Wolfgang Rougle and Slow Food Shasta Cascade for this delightful walk. The cost is FREE, please RSVP at email@example.com by February 21st.
For folks who would like A LOT more practical information and hands on experience with permaculture methods and strategies, while earning your permaculture design certificate (PDC), there is a weekends only design course starting up March 15th. You can find all kinds of more information about PDC’s here and about the upcoming course taught by Cathe’ Fish of Practical Permaculture here: http://tinyurl.com/Spring2014PDC
March 15th is our next Monthly Gathering from 1-4pm at the Chico Branch Library. The focus will be on sector analysis and understanding permaculture zones on your property and how to overlay them on your maps. This is a final piece we will cover that really completes the permaculture design process that we have been covering the last few winter months. As always our gatherings are FREE and open to the public.
March 16th is the 5th Annual Seed Swap at the Chico Grange from 2-6pm. Loads more information about it here.
Lastly (for now at least) there are a series of Permaculture chats through Butte College taught by Rosa Maicas. Check out the series here. For more information about this series contact Rosa here. Each workshop is free for Butte College students and employees and a $5-$10 sliding scale donation for community. Proceeds to benefit Perma-fun-k.